Clarifying and maximising slot availability
For schedule managers at capacity constrained airports who want to understand the potential to declare additional slots, Strategic Airport Capacity Management (S-ACM) product offers a proven solution to analyse the likely impact of future schedule changes.
This means that airports can test proposed schedules against historic performance data to validate that airborne and ground delays will remain at acceptable levels while maximising the number of slots available.
Airports face many challenges, not least delivering more capacity at lower cost. When demand and capacity get out of balance, problems occur – but infrastructure development and schedule co-ordination can help solve these issues.
In a safety critical environment, making operational changes with confidence requires the right information at the touch of a button. We've drawn on over 30 years’ experience in airfield simulation to develop a product proven to increase capacity even at the most constrained airports.
Rich functionality built on best in class technology
- Fast and accurate modelling. Fast and accurate runway capacity model built on class leading simulation technology, delivering an airside digital twin.
- Predictive analysis. Identifying trends in performance to pro-actively target airfield improvement projects.
- Knowledge library. Results are stored and shared among users to maximise the learning potential.
- Scalable and future proof. A modular solution that can be tailored to meet your needs including current and future concepts.
- Continuous performance monitoring. Enables changes in airport users’ performance to be identified and pro-actively managed.
- Web-based technology. ACM can be used anywhere, anytime so that you can make important decisions in an instant.
Enabling optimal slot manage to maximise capacity
- Actionable insights. Data rich, fast, and easy to use analytics to enable capacity and performance optimisation.
- Smart planning. Impartial, data-driven capacity and performance monitoring to focus stakeholders on optimised delivery.
- Informed investment. Ensure the most efficient use of airport infrastructure to avoid redundant capital expenditure.
- Assured solution. A class leading, lean, and transparent process aligned to IATA world-wide slot guidelines.
A proven solution at Heathrow Airport
In January 2015, Heathrow created two new arrival slots – a significant feat given that new slots at Heathrow are famously rare and can be traded for millions of pounds. It is already the busiest two-runway airport in the world, operating close to 100% capacity on a daily basis, how did space for a new slot emerge?
The answer lies in combining advanced modelling techniques with the ability to make sense of a huge amount of operational data in what we call Strategic Airport Capacity Management (ACM). In today’s safety critical environment, making operational changes with confidence requires especially the right information at the touch of a button. By combining the power of data analytics and advanced simulations, ATC operators can be in better control of strategic airport decisions.
S-ACM allows you to run a series of different simulations of future performance.
Strategic ACM is an innovative web based tool which improves the way airfield capacity interacts with key interfaces, including airspace, ground infrastructure and terminals – looking at a time horizon of six months and beyond. The tool helps the airport operator assess the impact of various factors on performance such as stand closures and relocation, ATC control and ground movement procedures, scheduling delays and weather. The operator can then declare the existing and future capacity of their runway(s).
The toolset enables Heathrow to make robust, consistent and quick business decisions about detailed and complex problems. Direct comparisons can be made to the current airport operation; in order to understand and quantify the likely benefits of any proposed operational change, or a combined program of initiatives. This is vital when considering long-term strategic investments, to ensure that future efforts are focused on achieving the maximum benefit for all stakeholders at the airport.
S-ACM allows you to compare the impact of various operational changes.
The design of the Strategic ACM tool itself makes the capability both flexible and adaptable, and most importantly future proof. As the challenges faced by the airport change over time, so can the analytical components, ensuring that the focus is always on the relevant questions being asked at the time.
And as a web based service, the Strategic ACM capability is something that can be integrated relatively easily into any other airport around the world. The creation of a new slot at Heathrow proved the immediate impact of Strategic ACM, a crucial factor for the region’s airports given how current infrastructural enhancements will take a while before they are completed.
S-ACM allows you to draw on over four years of historical data.
When we consider the capacity constraints that exist, at airports across the world, this is an exciting prospect. Airport operations are getting busier every day, and there are countless factors which can affect the performance of the airfield at any given time. These can range from the way that the scheduled traffic arrives at the airport, and the local weather conditions, to infrastructure constraints like the numbers of available stands and taxiway closures.
The ability to identify and quantify any potential benefits to the operation in any of these areas is vital, and the Strategic ACM capability would allow airports to do just that. Strategic ACM will enable airports to improve how they make decisions and model their operation quickly with a degree of certainty that was not possible in the past.