There are legal, academic and medical criteria that you need to meet to apply to become a Trainee Air Traffic Controller.

Do you meet the legal, academic and medical requirements ?

Do you meet the legal, academic and medical requirements ?

You must ensure you meet all necessary criteria before beginning the online application process.


Legally, you need to be eligible to work in the UK. If you are unsure if you are eligible, check this Home Office guidance.


Academically, it is essential you are over 18 and have at least five GCSEs or equivalent at Grade 4 or above (previously A-C) or Scottish National 5’s Grade A-C or equivalent, including English and Maths.


As well as having a good level of physical and mental fitness, you must satisfy the basic medical requirements set down by the Civil Aviation Authority for a European Union Class 3 medical certificate. The CAA website provides details on Class 3 medical standards.


The role of an Air Traffic Controller is a mobile grade, which means you will be required to work anywhere in the UK. Here are our primary UK locations.

Drugs and Alcohol

Due to the safety critical nature of an Air Traffic Controller’s job, we have a strict policy regarding the level of consumption of alcohol and a zero tolerance to the use of ‘recreational’ drugs.

Where next?


Please start typing and we will search our website for you.

Search Results